Eboney Cheshire Merseyside
Eboney Cheshire was a young schoolgirl who died from taking an ‘extremely high level’ of ecstasy – as her family insists the Lucozade she bought from a local shop, was ‘laced’ with the party drug. Cheshire died after suffering a seizure at home in Rainhall, Merseyside, in December 2018, an inquest heard.
Hours earlier, Eboney bought Lucozade, Monster Munch crisps and noodles from a local convenience store.
How old was Eboney Cheshire?
Eboney Cheshire, a pupil at Rainhill High School, was 13 years old at the time of death.
Popular and bright Eboney Cheshire had dreams of becoming a doctor https://t.co/RpakV5L5Vm
— Liverpool Echo (@LivEchonews) January 28, 2021
Eboney Cheshire Death & Cause of Death
Eboney Cheshire’s mother Kerry Williams has insisted that her daughter didn’t take the Class A drug herself, instead claiming her ‘bottle was laced’. Mrs. Williams blasted the police investigation into the death – which identified no suspects – and insisted the circumstances were ‘suspicious’.
Detective Inspector Leanne Hobin described Ebony’s death as a ‘tragedy’ but said ‘despite pursuing every line of inquiry’ no one was arrested on suspicion of spiking her drink, he inquest at Bootle Coroner’s Court heard.
Eboney was suffering cold-like symptoms and was kept off school by her mother in the days leading up to her death on December 2, 2018. She had been given paracetamol for her condition and appeared to improve – but was grounded at home while not attending school.
Mrs. Williams left for work on December 2 and when she returned to their home that evening there was a slight ‘verbal altercation’. The family went to sleep, but mother-of-two Mrs. Williams was woken up by a noise and found Eboney having a seizure in her bed, with her eyes rolling back.
An ambulance was called and it was initially believed she was having a seizure due to her raised temperature linked to her cold-like symptoms.
At Whiston Hospital, it was established that Ebony’s condition was drug-induced and she tragically died.
Eboney Cheshire Cause of Death
Merseyside Police Detective Inspector Leanne Hoban confirmed that police had not identified any offenders for drug supply crimes. The inquiry into Eboney’s death has now been concluded, it was added.
Mrs. Williams previously told how she believed her daughter must have come into contact with the drug when she went to the local shops on the evening before she died. She has questioned whether she met a friend – or someone else – who dared or pressured her into taking the drug, or whether someone spiked her.
A post mortem examination conducted by Dr. Brian Rogers said Eboney had a temperature of 41.2C.
Mrs. Williams had noted how Eboney’s arms were tensing and she was also sweating. Toxicology reports revealed an ‘extremely high level of MDMA, or ecstasy, in a level lying above the range of which fatalities have been reported.’
A cause of death ecstasy toxicity was given.
What we know so far about Eboney Cheshire
Coroner Julie Goulding said an ‘extensive investigation’ had led to no arrests for the supply of drugs to Eboney and the 13-year-old had taken the substance herself. Peter Williams, Ebony’s grandfather, told the hearing: ‘I don’t agree with this,’ and indicated his wish to appeal the coroner’s ruling.
Mrs. Williams also spoke in court about her dissatisfaction with the police investigation and added: ‘She didn’t do this to herself. Who puts ecstasy into a drink?’
Her mum claimed: ‘Her bottle was laced with drugs. You don’t realize how suspicious this is.’
Ms. Goulding said there was no other conclusion she could reach other than a drug-related death.
In December 2019, Mrs. Williams described her daughter as ‘a very popular and bubbly character, forever making people laugh.’