Abu Agila Masud Biography — Wiki
Abu Agila Masud is an alleged bombmaker involved in the Lockerbie plane attack in 1988 who will face new criminal charges from the US. Masud, a former Libyan intelligence officer, is expected to be charged in one of Attorney General William Barr’s final acts in the Justice Department.
The announcement expected on Monday will take place on the 32nd anniversary of the terror attack which killed 270 people.
Abu Agila Masud Age
Abu Agila Masud’s age is still unknown.
US set to announce new charges against Abu Agila Masud
Pan Am flight 103 was en route from London to New York when it exploded, with large sections of the plane crashing into the small residential Scottish town of Lockerbie, killing 11 people on the ground. The majority of the victims were from the US and Colonel Gaddafi accepted Libya’s responsibility for the attack.
Barr told President Trump of his resignation last week but asked to delay his departure by a week to announce the new Lockerbie charges, sources told CNN.
When Barr served under George H.W. Bush in the Justice Department, he announced charges against Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi and Al Amin Khalifah Fhimah. The two men linked to Libyan intelligence were accused of placing the explosives in a portable radio and cassette player inside a suitcase on the plane.
After protracted negotiations, the pair were tried by a Scottish court sitting in the Netherlands.
Megrahi was jailed for life in 2001 but was released on compassionate grounds in 2009 after he was diagnosed with cancer, before he died in 2012.
Fhimah was found not guilty but investigators have long believed that Megrahi did not act alone.
The new case against Abu Agila Masud is expected to be filed by prosecutors in Washington DC.
What we know so far about Abu Agila Masud
Abu Agila Masud is currently in jail in Libya, serving a 10-year sentence handed down by the US-backed government for being a bomb-maker who made devices used to target those who opposed Gaddafi before his death at the hands of rebels.
US officials say conversations are underway with Libya to take custody of Masud and Scottish authorities, with negotiations going more smoothly. Barr has long been determined to seek justice for the Lockerbie attack and the US response.
Masud faces charges of destruction of an aircraft resulting in death and destruction of a vehicle of interstate commerce resulting in death.
Authorities in the US claim he traveled to Malta ahead of the bombing, where he constructed the bomb and filled a suitcase with clothing before it was placed on the flight.
The new case is said to be based on a confession made by Masud to Libyan authorities in 2012.
It comes after a third appeal against the conviction of Megrahi brought by the convicted murderer’s son was launched at the High Court in Edinburgh last month.
The appeal was lodged after the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) referred the case to the High Court in March, ruling a possible miscarriage of justice may have occurred.
Judges then granted his son, Ali al-Megrahi, permission to proceed with the appeal in relation to the argument that ‘no reasonable jury’ could have returned the verdict the court did and on the grounds of non-disclosure of documents by the Crown.
In a statement issued before the hearing started, family lawyer Aamer Anwar, who represents the family, said: ‘It has been a long journey in the pursuit for truth and justice.